Linux Professional Association of Kenya is made up of IT professionals interested in promoting the professional use of Free and Open Source Software in Kenya.
FOSS programs are programs whose license gives users the freedom to run the program for any purpose without having to pay royalties to previous developers
A successful migration of the local market to free and open source technologies especially the Linux Operating System, with a corresponding development of skills among the consumers and developers.
To promote the professional and commercial use of the Linux Operating System and other Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in Kenya, and to represent locally the professional bodies which actively support those systems.
OBJECTIVES OF LPA-KENYA
- The association is not a political body and will not engage in politics.
- To serve as a source of information in Kenya regarding the commercial application of Linux.
- To provide a registry of regionally available expertise and other open source resources.
- To liaise with press and co-ordinate press releases relating to the Linux Operating System and other free source software and products.
- To administer accreditation programs for users of Linux and other open source technologies.
- To facilitate the open transfer of knowledge.
- To hold education demonstrations regarding free and open source technologies and components.
- To create partnerships with other local and international bodies, organizations, individuals and companies that share common objectives.
- To promote the development of information and communication technologies in Kenya.
- To contribute to National economic development and poverty reduction through the widespread use of technology.
- To contribute to the development of policy as regards the information and communication technology industry in Kenya.
- To lobby and advise the government on the implementation of open source technologies as a cost saving measure.
- To be a reputable professional institution, and to develop and enforce a professional code of conduct among its members.